Lists and Claims Posted May 1, 2018 15:00:25 GMT -7
Post by Kitten4u on May 1, 2018 15:00:25 GMT -7
The Academy wouldn't be able to function without a set of powerful staff members to keep things running smoothly. Most of these staff members are background characters who usually remain "offscreen," which means that the specific details of their powers and personalities aren't important. However, you can make a character to fill one of the staff positions and play that character just like any other.
Because people only began getting magic in significant number 5 years ago, and because people get magic in their teenage years, most staff members are no older than their early 20s, and they can be as young as any other character. Note that staff members don't have much real authority over the students, since students aren't required to attend class and are encouraged to use their powers to bend the rules. The main privileges of being a staff member are having a better room at the Academy, being exempt from some of the rules, and having a central role in Academy-wide developments.
A list of staff positions at the Academy follows, each with some suggestions for power types that would aid in working at that position. Even if a position is unclaimed, players can act as though someone offscreen is filling that position (so, for example, you can be maimed in one thread and healed by the next because the Academy is assumed to have a nurse with a healing power). It's fine for a staff position to have more than one character filling it. If you have an idea for a staff position that's not on this list, let us know and we might add it!
- Nurse - Someone with a power that dramatically accelerates healing or makes it possible to heal injuries that would otherwise be permanent. It might be interesting to provide a reason for students not to want to rely on this help, however, like often being absent or charging a terrible price for healing.
- Custodian - Someone with a power that protects the Academy or helps to repair the damage it sustains when magic battles happen inside. The board descriptions mention space distortion as a possible explanation for why the whole Academy isn't destroyed by explosive powers, but the truth of the matter might be something else.
- Counselor - Someone with a power that brainwashes students who refuse to stop trying to kill other students. This offers lots of plot opportunities (for example, playing a student who was brainwashed in her backstory).
- Coordinator - Someone who keeps track of Academy events and helps coordinate activities, and also potentially helps recruit new mages to the Academy. There's no particular type of power that's required, but detection and communication powers can help.
- Teacher - Someone who teaches students about one subject or another. No particular type of power is required, but some powers might be helpful to a teacher. It's assumed that one of the teachers has some sort of language-based power which allows the Academy students to speak each other's languages.